Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Three Philosophers


Ommegang Brewery
9.8% Alc./vol.
Unknown IBU

I've never been a big fan of belgian or "Belgian style" beers which this brew happens to be. There have been a few I've enjoyed, but for the most part I'm a meat and potatoes kind of beer drinker. I get more excited by the masterful execution or a novel twist of the more pedestrian styles of ale than I do sampling exotic brews.

I'm about 5 sips in so I'll start with my first impressions and see how it progresses from there. I began by pouring my first glass into the wrong type of glass; a Duvel tulip. Three Philosophers should probably be served in a Chimay chalice, but I can't find mine at the moment. I'll toast St. Anthony and see if he knows where it is.

The initial pour released a surprisingly complex arrangement of fruit, champagne, floral notes and a hint of yeast. Very pleasant, but it dissipated quickly. Thick, rich and foamy head tinted slightly beige. The flavor is subtle, malty with a hint of cherry. It finishes sharp and dry reminiscent of biting into a green apple. I'm reminded again of champagne and wouldn't be surprised if they used champagne yeast in the final fermentation. Clean aftertaste though slightly boozy, which I like; kind of a warm fuzzy feeling.

Three Philosophers is a Belgian style ale blended with Kriek, which explains the cherries. I can tell while sipping that if it weren't for the Kriek, this would be a very rich and sweet ale. The Kriek balances that out nicely and counters the sweetness with sour cherries.

All in all this is an enjoyable beer, but not an everyday one for me. The clean taste makes it a versatile beer and would be welcome at cocktail hour, during and after dinner or even with a sorbet and fruit course, if your pants are fancy.

No comments: