Friday, November 30, 2007

Allagash White ABV: 5.0%



I had not planned on picking this beer for my review, but a weeknight stop at the local pub piqued my interest in this finely crafted brew. The origins of this beer are as cloudy as the bottle fermented yeast its served in, coming out of the Portland area in the mid-90's. I like to believe the recipe came from a century old Trappist Monk, toiling laboriously in a Dr. Frankenstein-like laboratory in deepest Belgium. Lightening strikes and what awakens is a smooth, meaty, flavorful beast. The head is billowy and stacked high from bottle or tap, and the aftertaste elbows one with a slight whiff of lemongrass. Unlike many Belgium Whites, or "Wits," Allagash does not try to knock you over with a powerful array of spices. Again, subtle hints of flavor are more than enough to let you know you are drinking something that was not composed fat-handedly. Many complaints about this beer are that it is "too drinkable," which is like saying your girlfriend is "too hot..." Exactly. I enjoy this beer, when I can get it, year round. It doesn't have to be 100 degrees to enjoy a white, especially this one.
70 Hops

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Should a white beer (witbier) really be garnished with a tiny half wheel of orange? Is there a good reason why most restaurants waste perfectly good fruit by placing it on my glass?