Monday, November 5, 2007

Bitter Brown - 4% ABV

Mmmmmunich. OK, I know these fine young lasses are drinking Maerzen, but come on, they deserve their own blog.

In anticipation of the arrival of my new beer engine, I kegged my latest brew. It's a recipe I modified slightly from The Homebrewer's Companion. Here's the recipe listing from ProMash:

Partial Mash
Grain/Extract/Sugar










% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
82.0 6.00 lbs. Alexander LME - Amber America 1.037 14
13.7 1.00 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
4.3 0.31 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.


Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 44.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 3.5 5 min.
0.75 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 2.6 1 min.


Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

I'm very pleased with how this beer turned out. It's a lot more bitter than it should have been, due to the differences between the hop bill that a 20 year old recipe called for and what hops are actually producing today. I have enough ingredients to do this one again, this time I'll back off on the Willamettes a bit. Pretty soon my electric all grain brewery will be finished so I'll be back on the grain wagon. That is, if i don't electrocute myself first.

No comments: