Sunday, October 11, 2009

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale


It seems everywhere you go these days, pumpkin flavored items are all the rage. Every brewery around is milking the sweet teet of our orange autumn friend. Its only a matter of time before we see Turkey, Gravy or Cranberry Sauce flavored beers. Then it will all digress into a messy giblet flavored beer; the edible offal of a fowl, typically including the heart, gizzard, liver, anus in a cheery toasted hops and malty concoction. Yes I'm calling that one now.
Capping off a month long all things pumpkin binge, I've finally found the holy grail of "pumpkin" beers. That beer could only come in the form of Dogfish Head's aptly named "Punkin" ale. If you're a follower of hillbilly triathalons and backwoods smithies then you'll recognize the spelling of this beer is a homage to the greatest event on earth, Punkin Chunkin. That event in itself a walking billboard for ridiculousness, similarly so is this beers goodness.
You can pick up Punkin in a 9 dollar 4 pack just about anywhere that sells good beers. I scored mine up at Bunnies, and shared it with my dad. At 7% after two I had a nice light buzz associated with a higher ABV beer. The taste of this beer is unassuming, a distinct brown with solid flavor. Dogfish didn't even bother trying to make the beer taste pumpkiny, they just brewed with pumkin meat and the end flavor is what you get. Get some now, or be a looser and wait for some Sam Adams Giblet Stout.

2 comments:

cp said...

Il bastardo! I've had that in my fridge for three weeks now but have been too sick to drink it. I had a small sip a time ago and knew it was solid.

Anonymous said...

So why does it say the spice names on the label? I just homebrewed a pumpkin ale without any spices -- just roasted pumpkin in the mash and I'm curious what it will taste like. Are you saying this is the same thing?