Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat (huh?)

Hey you like Sam, you don't like Sam. Personally, I'm a big Boston Lager fan - if it's on tap & super fresh, there's nothing like it I think. But generally I'm not overly enthusiastic about everything they make. Across the lineup it's just ok for me. Cherry Wheat though - f*cking terrible.

Anyway.

Coastal Wheat just hit the streets. It's excellent. It's lighter bodied than typical Sam fare, and the lemon is really more of a hint than an outright flavor. It's not the overwhelming, almost dry grain of paradise taste, as found in Summer Ale. I actually think this could and should replace the traditional summer offering. I guess I wonder why we're seeing it for the first time...in October.

Oh, but the name. Oh I know precisely where it came from. It came from one of the many surveys Sam sends out. I got that survey. As most of their surveys do, it pissed me off to no end. I really tried to finish it, but the damn thing went on forever, offering the same exact choices, using slightly modified iterations of the same exact question again and again and again until my f*cking eyeballs bled and I begged the internet and any listening deity for mercy. 'Coastal Wheat' was one of the choices; as I remember, one of the worst. My guess is that no one actually completed the survey, Sam put the choices in a lotto drum, and this is what came out.

So ignore the name, label, everything on the outside, and enjoy this little bit of summer in October.

No comments: